The Pastor's Corner

*Article was published in the May edition of The Herald; a monthly publication of Green Hill Baptist Church.

“I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now.” 
Philippians 1:3-5 (NASB)

I have fond memories of going to Braves games in the old Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. I had mastered the tomahawk chop as a five year-old! For several years we lived in the Atlanta area and would often go and cheer on our team as they took the field. 

Baseball games have a traditional “seventh-inning stretch” where everyone in attendance stands to their feet to enjoy a brief timeout from the game. It’s a great time to stretch your legs, crash the concession stand, or visit the facilities. The seventh-inning stretch is also a good time to reflect upon the score of the game and evaluate the performance (or lack thereof) of the Home team. Are we winning the game? If not, are there any adjustments that need to be made?


May marks the seventh month of my ministry as pastor of Green Hill. It’s hard to believe how quickly time has passed. It seems like only yesterday that I was taking our youth to an Atlanta Braves game. Of course, yesterday was really the summer of 2003! Each blink of the eye seems to transform seconds into a span of years. Parents, you blink once and your child is born; blink again and they're starting first grade; blink again and they’re starting high school; blink again and they’re graduating. 

Do you dare blink again?

As I take a “seventh-month stretch” there are many exciting things happening within our faith family. God is doing some wonderful things among us. For example:

It’s an honor and privilege to serve as your pastor and I want to commend to you Paul’s words to the Philippians. I thank God for you. I pray for you always with joy in my heart. I count it a joy to partner with you in the gospel. We are moving forward, but there is still work to be done and progress to be made. 

God has much in store for our next seven months together, so let’s suit up, take the field, and get ready to play ball!

Serving Together,
Pastor Brett